Skim coating is a method that is applying to make smooth walls and ceilings. It is the best way to smooth the walls and ceiling. This method name is the texturing technique. It uses to make a muddy compound on the drywalls and give a new look to the old wall. Skim coating creates a long-term solution for an existing flat surface is leveling, fill up a joint, or repair minor cracks. You can use two methods of professional plasterers and Do-It-Yourself (DIY). At least two-layer of the joint compound makes of the skim coating method. After all, sanded the wall or ceiling before it can be painted or wallpapered. If you can use this process, you get a smooth surface.
When Should you Apply a Skim Coat?
Using a skim coat to the wall is easy to do yourself, but the first time you should be an able identifier, which is a warranted process. There are four common problems to decide on for skim coating.
1. The protection damage from wallpaper:
If you use the removing wallpaper, after a long time you will see to damages the wall behind removing wallpaper. As a result, your removing wallpaper will create gouges or start to tearing off. In this case, it is high time for a skim coating on the drywall.
2. Drywall is retexturing after repair:
When you repair the damaged wall, you will need to paint or texture. Then, you have to use a skim coating on your repair wall.
3. A skim coating up old or unsightly walls:
If you have an old wall and it passes a long time journey, then you will see the wall damage to the surface. You might want to give a new look to the damaged wall, and don’t change the wall when applying a skim coating to the damaged wall.
4. A skim coating new drywall:
If you want to install a skim coat on the new drywall, then you should consider this. As a result, your drywall will not be damaged by the wall surface. You will install the skim coating on the wall to at least a very thin extent before painting on the wall surface.
Advantages and disadvantages of skim coat:
A skim coating is the most important material of the wall or ceiling. It saves the wall for a long time. Now you get to know the advantages and disadvantage of this below:
a) Advantage of skim coat:
- A skim coating has more process, but the cost is low, and it can be applying to easier for any person. If you dislike your present texture, it is a perfect way to “replace” this without any pay for a previous work
- If you cover your wall or ceiling by skim coating, you will get a smooth surface. As a result, you can print to the wall or ceiling easier, and your print gives to smooth and brighter.
- A skim coat will give your room a beautiful look, and it can create the ceiling to layer less blend in the wall. A skim coat also gives the natural light for a bright and aerial home. This process also visually creates the ceiling higher, which makes your home look bigger.
- If you want to cover your skim coat wall, so you will repair it easier for any damage because the skim coating method is easier than other methods.
b) Disadvantages of Skim Coat:
- A skim coating is a more workable and skilled process. That’s why this process is more expensive than applying for textured walls and ceilings. It needs more time for painting because the skim coat drying process is slow.
- The damaged area of the skim coat wall is more visible than the textured wall method.
- A skim coating is applying so hard for an unprofessional person because it is a large and difficult process. An unprofessional person is not good at finishing on the surface of the wall and ceiling. So this work needs a professional person.
A skim cost is one of the best methods for the smooth surface wall and ceiling. A skim coat gives the old wall and ceiling a new look. I try to tell about the advantage and Disadvantages of a skim coating in this article. Thank you for being with us.